How’s the Lunch?

Students are waiting in line for their lunches outside of the cafeteria area. The students were being served hot dogs that day.

At the beginning of Animo Jefferson Charter Middle School’s fourth year, the school lunch vendors quit after supplying the students with food for three years and the school was left without a vendor at the beginning of the fourth year.

For the first two weeks of school, the students had to eat frozen food since the school could not find a new vendor. A few weeks later, the school was able to find a good vendor with lunches that some students enjoyed. Some of the foods that are supplied to the students are: cheese sticks with tomato sauce, chicken sandwiches, chicken nuggets, meatball sandwiches, and other foods.

Eighth grader Chris Ramirez said, “We don’t get good food like before.”

Eighth grader Jesus Vega said, “Sixth grade lunch was great. In seventh grade, the lunches were alright.”

Sixth grader Richard Brown said, “It’s okay. When I first arrived here, the food was horrible.”

The new lunch vendors are much more organized and have thought of a way to help student get their lunches much faster so they have more time to eat. The lunches come with at least four of the Five Food Groups every day. There’s always fruit, milk, grain, and vegetables and there is meat most of the time.