Eighth graders need to make their high school choices

Filling out a High School Application

Image Taken from www.educationconnection.com

Filling out a High School Application

High school is coming soon to our eighth graders here at Animo Jefferson. There are many high school options for them to go to.

Eighth graders have an option attending a charter high school, a private high school or a LAUSD high school.

In our community here the traditional LAUSD and charter schools are public and free. For example, around here the traditional LAUSD high schools are Jefferson High School and Santee High School.

There are also magnet schools like Orthopeadic High School  and Bravo Medical Magnet High School. This schools aren’t “neighborhood schools” but anyone in the city can attend them.

Eighth graders also have the option of applying to charter high schools, which are free and public. Charter Schools are different than traditional high schools because they focus on if you are getting it or not.

Getting into any charter school is a little different because you have to submit the school application by the deadline and will be place for a lottery.

Click here to learn more about school choices

Charter schools are usually smaller, but does that make them better? Math teacher Thomas Lo said,  ”Honestly smaller high schools are better because small high schools dedicate more time to individuals.”

Counselor Gabriela Cervantes also said, “ Green Dot Schools’ teachers and staff do whatever it takes for the kids, The admin work hard to support staff and students, and have high expectations for students.”

Eighth graders also have the choice of attending a private high school or a LAUSD magnet. A private school near us would be Loyola High School of Los Angeles. Private high schools have tuition, which means you have to pay to attend classes.  However, most private schools also offer scholarships for students with financial need.

If the eighth graders here want to get in a good high school, they need to a start preparing now.

Lo said, “Start preparing now, because anything hard is worth is.”