Should Teachers have Guns?

Find out what people think about this issue

On February 2018, Donald Trump announced he was thinking about allowing teachers to have guns at school because of the Florida school shooting. We all know that what happened at Florida was something shocking and terrible. Many people have lost loved ones in school shootings, which is really horrible and something dangerous that is happening throughout our world. I know Donald Trump is trying to make change happen, but is it worth it? Do you think that this is honestly a great idea?

Thomas Lo

Thomas Lo, a math teacher at AJCMS, believes that Donald Trump is doing something really dangerous by letting teachers have guns in school. “I am absolutely against it for number of reasons. First I don’t believe putting guns in school makes the school safer, and teachers already have a lot to do or think about, and worrying about a gun shouldn’t be one of those reasons,” said Lo.

“Well I think that teachers and students should be worried that there’s a weapon at school, and teachers might be worried  about getting access and students would be worried about a weapon on campus,” said Lo. He feels that this will affect everyone at school by making students and teachers feel unsafe because there’s a gun in their classroom. Lo really thinks that this is unsafe because having guns sounds more dangerous. “No, I don’t think allowing guns at school would be safe because having weapons wouldn’t make this place any better,” said Lo.

Mariana Rojas

Should teachers be allowed to carry guns on campus?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mariana Rojas, an 8th grader at AJCMS, also disagrees what Donald Trump is doing. “I believe that it is not a good idea because somebody can have access to weapons, which causes more tragedy,” said Rojas. Rojas thinks everyone at school could be safe, but with a weapon you feel that something bad might happen.  “It could possibly make people feel safe. However having a weapon there can be a constant reminder that bad things can happen.

“I believe they’re something that shouldn’t happen but they do, mostly caused by bullying,” said Rojas explaining how they’re a lot of school shootings and we wish it could stop.

Flor Garcia

Flor Garcia, the parent of Deseree Roque, an 8th grader at AJCMS, agrees with Trump’s idea that teachers should be armed at school. She said, ”I think it is a good idea because we as parents trust the teachers that our kids are safe. It is like a second home because they spend most of their time there.” She believes that having guns at school would make it a safer environment for the kids.

Although she thinks that having a gun could affect the teachers. “I think it will affect the teachers because the teachers need to locate the best place to hide it to keep them from the teachers,” she said.

“  If I was a teacher I would feel very safe because if a school shooting happen I would be able to protect the students and myself,” Garcia said.

Garcia has had contact with a gun.  “I have, and I was taught that guns are used to protect not to hurt people.”

Garcia gave her opinion about school shootings.  “I think school shootings should never happen because it is the place that parents think shootings like this would happen.”

Many people have different opinion of Trump’s idea of teachers having guns at school .It can be viewed both good or bad depending on the situation. Just imagine you are a teacher when a school shooting erupts. Would you think having a gun is useful in this situation or would it make it worse?  How would you feel how would you react? What is your opinion on this topic?