Bulldog Bugle

The student news site of Animo Jefferson Charter Middle School

Bulldog Bugle

Bulldog Bugle

Los Angeles Dodgers new players

CBS Sports
Picture of Shohei Ohtani, Yoshinobu Yamamoto, and Teoscar Hernández being teammates.

The baseball season just started and the Los Angeles Dodgers roster looks very different compared to last season.

This season the Los Angeles Dodgers have signed Shohei Ohtani, who plays as a pitcher and designated hitter, Yashinobu Yamamoto, who plays as a pitcher, and Teoscar Hernández for one year, who is a right fielder.

Shohei Ohtani

According to MLB, Shohei Ohtani made his Major League Baseball (MLB) debut on 3/29/2018 with the Los Angeles Angels (LAA). Ohtani was born on 7/5/1994 in Oshu, Japan.

Before Shohei Ohtani was signed to the Dodgers he played five seasons with the Angels.

According to CBS Sports it states, “Just to emphasize and reframe the key point, Ohtani agreed to defer $680 million of his $700 million deal with the Dodgers.”

Ohtani would only earn $2 million per year for ten years and is getting a total of $680 million until 2034. Ohtani decided to defer $68 million because Ohtani wanted the Dodgers to have more money now to sign other players.

According to CBS Sports it states “Ohtani has developed into one of and perhaps the best hitter in baseball against fastballs…”

So far this season Ohtani has managed to hit a total of 14 home runs. Something that makes Shohei Ohtani so valuable is that he is an elite designated hitter and pitcher. Not many players play two positions because they are more dominant with only one position but Ohtani has the ability to be elite at both positions.  Ohtani is the first player since Babe Ruth in 1919 (!!!) to regularly play as both a pitcher and a hitter.

Yoshinobu Yamamoto

According to MLB it says that he made his MLB debut on 3/21/2024. According to MLB, Yoshinobu Yamamoto was born on 8/17/1998 in Bizen, Japan.

It is Yoshinobu Yamamoto’s first season in the MLB and Yoshinobu was contracted to the Dodgers for $325 million.

According to the Sporting News, “Yamamoto starred for Japan at the 2023 World Baseball Classic, helping the Japanese win the international tournament…”

Before Yoshinobu Yamamoto was on the Dodgers he played in the Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB). He was an impactful player for the Japan international team.

According to ESPN, “He won three straight MVP awards and three consecutive Sawamura Awards…”

Yoshinobu is a good pitcher because he is very good at curving the ball. Yoshinobu’s spin rate is much higher than an average player’s spin rate.

Teoscar Hernández

According to MLB, Teoscar Hernández played for the Houston Astros, Toronto Blue Jays, Seattle Mariners, and Los Angeles Dodgers. He was born on 10/15/1992 in Cotui, Dominican Republic

Teoscar Hernández will earn $23.5 million, which is his highest earning contract he has gotten in his MLB career.

According to Sportsnet it states “But he’s not susceptible to any one pitch type, he can hit all pitch types. When he’s getting those pitches in the zone, he can do real damage.”

Teoscar is a great hitter and can make contact with the ball no matter the situation. Also, he is fast.

Conclusion:

According to CBS sports it states “In terms of pure dollars, with no consideration for the contract or payment structures, the Dodgers have cleared the $1 billion mark.”

According to LAtimes, with all the additions this year, “They have an extremely top-heavy lineup. They have an unreliable bullpen. They have a shaky defense.”