Some students are not reading at their grade level

Students reading with each other.

Xochitl Pineda

Students reading with each other.

What do you think about students not reading at their grade level?

Carl Finer, a seventh grade English teacher at Animo Jefferson Charter Middle School(AJCMS) said, “Unfortunately because some students are not reading at their grade level it’s important for teachers to support students.” He also said “It’s still going to be hard for students even if they get support because in college and some high schools they don’t get support from teachers.”

David Nahmod, a sixth grade Read 180 teacher at AJCMS said, “ The reading level can be improved by reading for fun.” He also thinks that students do get enough education even though they are not reading at their grade level , but since students are not reading at their grade level the classes are harder for them. He also said, “It is important to read because reading is the most important skill for school subjects.” He also thinks, teachers are giving students enough support, but besides the support of teachers students can also go to the library.

Eighth grade AEE and English teacher, Nathaniel Broguiere said, “Students not reading at their grade level is a problem and we teachers try to help them out.” He also said that students not liking to read is a problem too. He thinks that students are at the correct school to help them out because teachers help them bring up their grades and that way they can be better prepared for college and work. Broguiere thinks students also have the opportunities to get help and bring their grades up by going to guided study and getting help from teachers.

20150213_093459 (1)
Students reading books in a small group
Teacher helping students with their reading