A way to get college ready in advisory

Teacher Elizabeth Borum leads her advisory students in the college ready advisory Jeopardy game.

In order for Animo Jefferson middle school students  to prepare for college, there are college advisory days where lessons planned by Gabriela Cervantes, the school counselor, and Jaime Carbajal, the vice principal, are taught to students during their advisory classes.

Cervantes said this focus “helps you plan and it helps you act now to prepare for college” because during a lesson, “You get college knowledge” because you are taught about the different kinds of colleges. For example, there are the UC’s, community and Cal States. Cervantes also said, “We’ve talked about college and dispelling myths about college and career exploration.”  Students are also learning about the costs and discovering their interests. This material can be reviewed by playing  a Jeopardy game to review what was learned in previous lessons.

Cervantes said these advisories are important because “You have to start with the end in mind… you have to have a goal.” Also, Richard Brown, a sixth grader, said that he learns things like being aware that some colleges lend you grants.  He said a lesson like this “helps me learn ways to get into a college I like, like USC.”   This is very helpful because according to Gabriela Cervantes, ”This is a chance for our students to dream, plan, and prepare themselves for their future.”