The effect of drugs on teens

Sandstone Care

Teen deciding between education or drugs.

There are many teens that are addicted to drugs such as nicotine and other things. There are many reasons as to why teens use drugs. Teens might think this is a good way to maybe have some fun or let off some stress but in reality it is very dangerous. It has many bad side effects on teens who use them. We will be talking about the effects of drugs on teens.

An effect on teens who use drugs is that it affects students’ academic learning ability. Students are not able to learn to their full ability because drugs are making learning difficult for them. According to Green Hill Recovery  it states, “Lower grades, poor attendance, and an increased likelihood of dropout before graduation are all associated with teen substance abuse. The physical and behavioral health effects of teen drug misuse can be an obstacle to academic success.”

The text shows how using drugs can lead to poor attendance and poor grades. If this continues they will most likely drop out instead of graduating. This shows how using drugs is bad for teens because it changes their mindset from getting good grades to doing drugs and not caring about school or their grades.

Another effect on teens who use drugs is that it can create mental health disorders and make them drug dependent. Some teens get really addicted to the point where they can’t concentrate without it. According to MayoClinic it states, “Drug use can complicate or increase the risk of mental health disorders, such as depression and anxiety.” It also states,”Some teens who misuse drugs are at increased risk of substance use disorder.” This shows how drugs are really affecting teens. It is really bad because teens cannot concentrate without them. They could also become depressed because it ruins their life. All they do is think about drugs instead of doing better things.

Eighth grade student Axel Orta commented on how he feels about teens using drugs. He said, “I think drugs are bad especially for teens because it messes up with your mindset and your education.”

In conclusion, We think that students shouldn’t try drugs especially if you are a teen because it can cause more damage than you expect even if you think it can help reduce stress. It will affect your school performance and will take a toll on your mental health. This is why teens shouldn’t use drugs.