Who is in the label Opium?

Opium is a record label founded in 2019
The music label Opiums cover
The music label Opium’s cover
Opium record label

Before finding out who is in the label Opium you need to know what is the label Opium. Opium is a record label founded by Playboi Carti in 2019. It is also most recognizable for including Destroy Lonely, Homixide Gang and Ken Carson.

For a little background on the artists, one key detail is that they were all born in Georgia. Playboi Carti, Destroy Lonely, and Homixide Gang were born in Atlanta, Georgia, while Ken Carson was born in Calhoun, Georgia. They were artists who wanted to make it out of where they lived because there was too much gang activity.  Playboi Carti stated this in a verse from his song R.I.P.: “Bought a crib for my mama off that mumblin’ sh*t. Made a mil’ off that, uh.”

The one who founded the record label, Playboi Carti (Jordan Carter), made one album that is officially a part of the label, called “Whole Lotta Red.” He also has another upcoming album due to be released next year.

The first notable artist who is a part of the record label is Destroy Lonely (Bobby Wardell Sandimanie III) who signed to the label in early 2021.  As part of the label, he released the mixtape “No Stylist” in August 12, 2022 and the full album “If Looks Could Kill” in March 3, 2023.

The second notable Opium artist is Homixide Gang, who signed to the label in 2019. Thomas and Demetrius, who are Homixide Gang, made three albums as a part of the label: “5th Amndmnt” in October 27, 2023, “Snot or Not” in April 27, 2023, and “Homixide Lifestyle” in November 22, 2022.

The last notable artist is Ken Carson, who signed to the label in 2019. Ken Carson (Kenyatta Lee Frazier Jr.) made three albums as a part of the label: “Project X” in July 23, 2021, “X” July 8, 2022, and “A Great Chaos” October 13, 2023.

Opium has impacted the life of eighth grader Edgar Cardozo. He said, “Opium’s a lifestyle, Ken Carson one of the goats, possibly better than Carti. Homixide Gang trash. Opium is also fashion and when people dress like the artist, very grunge and dark. VWAH. ” 

Opium has influenced many people. Opium can influence people with its type of music. An article by the The Highlander, the student newspaper of Michigan’s Seaholm High School on why “Opium is the Greatest Rap Label You’ve Never Heard Of ” claimed Carti’s “Whole Lotta Red” albums  was heavily aggressive, filled with loud 808s and homicidal lyrics. The album art was a nod to the popular rock band Slayer. Carti’s style had entirely changed from nonchalant, upbeat, and relaxed to murderous and extremely energetic.” Carti influenced the rest of the Opium members to join the label, which in turn influenced many others.

Because of how influential they are, I wanted to share who the Opium members are and why you should listen to them. You also may want to dress in an Opium style (all black clothing).

If you want to start listening to Opium music, you can start with Ken Carson’s “A Great Chaos” album. Strong songs you can play from the album are Jennifer’s Body, Succubus, and Fighting My Demons.

Is Ken Carson, Destroy Lonely, or Playboi Carti better?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

13
View Comments (13)