Bulldog Bugle

The student news site of Animo Jefferson Charter Middle School

Bulldog Bugle

Bulldog Bugle

The origin of plastic surgery

Walter Yeo after getting a flap surgery by Sir Harold Delf Gillies.
Unknown

Plastic Surgery is a specialty in surgery where it reconstructs, alternates, or restores the human body. It is separated into two main categories: Reconstructive and Cosmetic (also known as Aesthetic). Reconstruction surgery is when they fix a part of the body that was injured, has disease or a medical condition. While the motivations and techniques have evolved over time, the roots of plastic surgery can be traced to various cultures and historical periods.

The earliest records of plastic surgery come from ancient India. Their reconstructive procedures were performed as part of Ayurvedic medicine. The Sushruta Samhita is an ancient Indian text on surgery describing techniques for reconstructing noses and ears. According to Ramsay Health Care Aulus Cornelius Celsus, a Roman encyclopedist, documented some surgical procedures, like the repairing of ears and lips. Romans performed more simple surgeries such as wound repair and basic reconstruction, like damaged ears.

Much later in the Middle Ages, according to verywellhealth, the practice of plastic surgery faced struggles due to fear and religious belief which discouraged it. Medical knowledge and surgical techniques also mostly stopped during this time. But unlike in the Middle Ages, the Renaissance improved science, art, and medicine. Surgeons began to experiment with facial reconstruction techniques. However, the focus was still more on reconstructive surgery rather than cosmetic surgery. 

According to The Layt Clinic, in the 19th century there was a big advancement in anesthesia which helped lead to safer and more complex surgeries. Sir Harold Gillies, a New Zealand surgeon, played an important part during World War I by developing techniques for reconstructing facial injuries. Then, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgery, plastic surgery continued to develop in the 20th century with new techniques and materials. World War II played a big part in advancements in reconstructive surgery. In the 1950s and 1960s procedures like rhinoplasty and breast augmentation became more popular. Plastic surgery has become a widespread choice for different procedures.  Cosmetic surgery, in particular, has gained a lot of popularity. Many people today get a BBL. 

AJMS eighth grader Natalia Garcia said, “I watched this one video about a girl named Nataly Cuevas who got her body done and she recorded her experience and showed the real side of surgery.” It showed how the recovery was after getting the surgery and the emotional and physical toll it took on Nataly Cuevas.

From ancient reconstructive practices in India to today, where there are multiple cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries, the history of plastic surgery is a journey of change and cultural shifts.

View Comments (21)