Bulldog Bugle

The student news site of Animo Jefferson Charter Middle School

Bulldog Bugle

Bulldog Bugle

Growing up

Growing+up
Freepik

Growing up wasn’t easy for me. When I was born my family had some problems. My mom and dad would argue almost everyday which ended up with them getting a divorce. While the divorce was happening, my  mom and dad argued everyday, and then one day it got physical. I was 2 or 4, and my sister was 10 or 6 when it happened. When the divorce finally was done my dad took my sister and I away from my mom. It was very hard for my mom. She had and was trying everything she could to get my sister and I from my dad. She did anything, she worked non-stop, she didn’t sleep, she didn’t eat for days, my family was getting worried about her. Till finally she had enough to get my sister and I back.  

My mom tried everything to get my sister and I back, it took her a year and a couple of months. I was young but I still remember some of it, though I wish I didn’t most times, I would and still get nightmares about it. It took a while to come back to California from Mexico. My sister was 9 and I was 5 when we came back. After a year we moved, a few months later we moved again, and again, till we found somewhere to stay for a year or two. We stayed in the house for 5 years, but we had to move again. I didn’t have many friends, most of the time I was alone, I was used to being alone.

When I was 7 – 9 I would always be alone, I was always alone in my room, I was used to being alone, when the divorce was going on, I was always alone. I didn’t have many friends growing up, till 5th or 6th grade. I had friends, I had people to talk to, hang out with, laugh with, I wasn’t alone anymore, I wasn’t the weirdo in the family anymore.  I wasn’t called weird anymore. I could finally be myself, be happy, be happy, and have fun. I was finally happy, I didn’t have to fake it anymore, I wasn’t made fun of by my family as much, I was finally accepted, I was loved, I was myself, I didn’t have to fake being myself, I could talk to someone about my problems.   

If I had never met my friends I don’t know what I would have done without them, they mean so much to me, they make me happy, they make me laugh, I have fun with them. I can finally be myself, I won’t get called weird anymore. They accept me for who I am. I didn’t have to pretend to be someone so they could like me, they like me for who I am. I was loved by my friends. I was myself for once in my life, I didn’t have to fake it anymore. I was loved by the people around me. They did and never judged me for the things I do, and the things I liked. They like some of the same things I liked. We could talk about anything for hours and hours. I could do anything with them. I love them they mean the world to me. 

My friends made me who I am today. They accepted me. They make me happy, they make me do things that are so fun to do. They love me. I have fun with them. They give me the confidence I don’t and didn’t have the confidence without them.  They made me do things I love to do without getting judged. I can do anything around them. They make me laugh so much it hurts me. They have helped me with my problems, with my family problems. They can help me with anything. They helped me so much. Without them, I don’t know if I could have gotten better and moved on a bit from the “mom and dad” problem.

View Comments (2)