Bulldog Bugle

The student news site of Animo Jefferson Charter Middle School

Bulldog Bugle

Bulldog Bugle

Atrocious crimes committed by the CIA

The shady activities most aren’t aware of
Getty images
A picture of Dr. Harry Williams and Carl Pfeiffer conducting the LSD experiment.

Do you know about the Central Intelligence Agency (C.I.A.) and what they do? To keep it short, as stated by themselves, their main mission is “To stop threats before they happen and further U.S. national security objectives.” While the C.I.A. does do good, some of their actions are questionable.

MK ULTRA
The most popular example of something unethical being done by the CIA is project MK-Ultra. MK-Ultra was a secret project made around 1950 by the CIA, in which illegal human experimentation took place. The goal of this was to manipulate human behavior in order to get forced confessions, and weaken people. 

To achieve this, the CIA attempted brainwashing and psychological torture. They used psychoactive drugs (mind altering drugs like LSD) electroshock therapy, sensory deprivation, as well isolation often without consent. This was an experiment to get criminals or captured soldiers to confess to what they were planning. This was used on many terrorists.

CIA BLACK SITES

In the early 2000’s photos from a Black Site leaked. Those photos contained images of a victim of the CIA technique called “Enhanced Interrogation,” which consisted of forced nudity, waterboarding, and simulated drowning.

CIA Black Sites are secret hidden prisons. The reasons these prisons were built were because of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. These prisons are hidden so the CIA can detain, interrogate, and torture suspected terrorists.  Black Sites were publicly acknowledged in a speech by former president George W. Bush on September 6th, 2006.

RECRUITMENT OF NAZIS

During the start of the Cold War in 1967, many Nazi war criminals were on the run to evade justice. The US was focused on their conflict with  Russia. To do this the CIA had started an operation titled Paperclip. Operation Paperclip was a (not so well-hidden) secret group of Nazi scientists and technicians scouted by the CIA.

The Nazis would work on various projects, a notable one being the Apollo space project in which they helped get men on the moon. These former Nazis got off without consequences because they were working for the USA and afterwards were allowed to stay in the country.

Sources:
PROJECT MK-ULTRA | CIA FOIA (foia.cia.gov)
The CIA’s Appalling Human Experiments With Mind Control | HISTORY Channel
In Cold War, U.S. Spy Agencies Used 1,000 Nazis – The New York Times 

What Was Operation Paperclip? | HISTORY
Inside the CIA’s black site torture room 

Legacy of the “Dark Side” 

View Comments (1)