Bulldog Bugle

The student news site of Animo Jefferson Charter Middle School

Bulldog Bugle

Bulldog Bugle

Helen Keller: Deaf and Blind

What did Keller do and how did she do it?
Helen Keller (National Womens History Museum)
Helen Keller (National Women’s History Museum)

Although being blind and deaf, Helen Keller was able to fly a plane, write 14 books, give over 400 speeches and advocate for the blind and women’s right to vote. Helen Keller also learned to communicate with the sense of touch and eventually was able to speak verbally.

Who is Helen Keller?

Helen Keller was an American author, disability rights advocate, political activist, and lecturer. She was born on June 27, 1880 in Tuscumbia, Alabama. She was 19 months old when she lost both her ability to see and hear after she suffered from an illness. At the age of 87, Helen passed away on June 1,1968 in Easton, CT.

Helen Keller advocated for the blind and women’s right to vote

Keller advocated for the blind and for women’s right to vote. In 1920, the same year the 19th amendment, the amendment that granted women the right to vote, was ratified, Keller co-founded the American Civil Liberties Union. Helen Keller was able to advocate for the blind by joining the American Foundation for the Blind (AFB). She participated in a large parade known as the “Women Suffrage Procession” in Washington, DC.

Keller’s education, and author life

She was able to use her education and influence to help improve the lives of others. Keller was also able to write a total of 14 books and wrote 475 speeches and essays. The topic of the books, essays, and speeches were faith, blindness prevention, birth control, the rise of fascism in Europe and atomic energy. One of her most famous books was written in 1903. It was titled “The Story of My Life” and was about her education and life with her teacher, Anne Sullivan. Keller was able to read and write using braille. She was able to write her books by using a braille typewriter. 

Keller learns to communicate

Helen Keller was matched with a teacher, Anne Sullivan, who taught her how to better communicate by pressing hand signals into her palm. She was able to read and write with the help of braille. Keller had also learned to lip read by touching peoples’ mouthes while they were spoke. Keller learned to use a braille typewriter as well as to use a regular typewriter. Keller had also  learned to speak verbally using the manual alphabet by communication through finger spelling, which led to her vocabulary increasing and her being able to speak simple sentences.

Keller flies a plane

Keller flew a plane over the Mediterranean Sea, traveling from Rome to Paris. She flew the plane for 20 minutes. She was able to fly the plane calmly and steadily with no shaking or vibration. She was able to fly a plane by communicating with her companion, Polly Thomson, through hand talk. The hand talk included Polly Thomson giving Helen the co-pilot’s instructions.

“She sat in the co-pilot’s seat with the pilot beside her, and I relayed to her his instructions,” Thomson reportedly said. “The plane crew were amazed at her sensitive touch on the controls. There was no shaking or vibration. She just sat there and flew the plane calmly and steadily.”

Conclusion

Helen Keller was able to achieve many things. She had learned how to speak, and type/write (using braille).She wrote 14 books and gave 475 essays/speeches. She piloted a plane using hand talk, and had helped advocate for the blind and for women suffrage. This was all completed through her lifetime of 87 years.

Sources:

“Wonderful Helen Keller Flies a ‘Plane.”

Did Helen Keller Fly a Plane?

Helen Keller 

Helen Keller’s Books, Essays, and Speeches

Helen Keller FAQ

How did Helen Keller learn to communicate?