Bulldog Bugle

The student news site of Animo Jefferson Charter Middle School

Bulldog Bugle

Bulldog Bugle

99 Cents Only stores closing for good. | A photoessay

Amaurie Poventud
My local 99 Cents Only store before its closing.

Some people might be asking “Why are the shelves in 99 Cents Only stores so empty? Why are there so many sales signs?” But the most repeated question has to be, “Why is the 99 Cents Only store franchise closing?”

Sadly, it’s true. This franchise is closing all of its 371 stores.

According to the Arizona Republic, “Factors [for closing] included the impact of COVID-19, shifting consumer demands, inflation and rising shrinkage levels such as loss of inventory or cash due to theft, damage or administrative errors.”

Although it’s saddening that they are closing, many people flocked to the store and filled up the parking lots to get as much stuff they can on these deals.

Joshua Aguilar said, “Its very sad to see that an old store we used to always go to is closing now. There are pro and cons like how the fruits and dairy were taken out, but it’s still sad that this store may never open again.”

And now here are some photos on the huge changes at the local 99 Cents Only store as it gets ready to close for good.

View Comments (4)