Gang violence can effect student life

Allison Rosales

Student Journalist Alexandra Carbajal

Gang related violence is a common problem in our community. It affects not only those involved but those around them. It also is very traumatizing to kids. The decision to be in it or stay one from it affects everyone even those that don’t even know it yet.

Vice principal Jaime Carbajal thinks gang violence has an enormous impact  on our students behavior and education.” There has been a student that has changed a lot but I can’t say their name.  They acted different and I didn’t know why until their mom came in and told me that their brother had been shot… it’s honestly traumatizing.” He also believes that kid’s brains aren’t developed properly yet. “Kids’ brains don’t develop [fully] until they turn eighteen or twenty so they can’t really think about their choice on whether to step away from it or join in on it.”

Eighth grade student journalist Alexandra Carbajal thinks gang related violence is a “dumb” thing that shouldn’t be around. “It’s stupid.  It’s just like all these gang members from our ethnicity don’t realize that this makes us look bad.”

Thirty year old former “gang member” Hugo Carmona said we all have a choice, it just  depends on whether you make the right decision.    “Growing up in the neighborhood I grew up in, they lead you to think that you don’t have a choice. That shouldn’t be a way a fourteen year old should think. I honestly believe that every decision that you make has a consequence whether its a good one or a bad one. Mine resulted in getting deported and I regret my decision everyday.”