Bulldog Bugle

The student news site of Animo Jefferson Charter Middle School

Bulldog Bugle

Bulldog Bugle

SRLA runners feel nervous before the upcoming LA Marathon

Thomas Lo
The SRLA team posing in their race gear in the week before the marathon.

We interviewed German Isidro, Yanelly Gomez, and Roselyn Martinez about the upcoming SRLA marathon and how they feel about it and if they are nervous or feeling good about it. What measures they are taking to make sure they are well prepared for the big day? Why they are willing to run this marathon and who has supported them along this journey?

Roselyn Martinez:

Nathalia Garcia: Are you nervous or scared?

Roselyn Martinez: Kind of nervous because I feel like I’m physically good for the marathon but mentality no.

Roselyn’s Rose Bowl Half Marathon medal. (Roselyn Martinez)

Ashlie Gomez: Who’s supporting you through this journey?

RM: My family is supporting me along the way by giving me encouraging words and they are gonna make posters for me to be there for me. 

German Isidro:

NG: Do you see this as an accomplishment and how do you feel about this marathon?

German Isidro: I feel surprised because it’s a big marathon and also hopefully I can make it to the finish. I feel like this is an accomplishment because I’ve run other races and finished them.

German at the 10k run in La Puente.

AG: What strategies have you been using to be prepared mentally and physically?

GI: I’ve been playing soccer because soccer keeps me active and fit to be able to run the marathon. It gets my blood flowing and to be able to have my muscles and strength ready.

NG:  Are you scared about anything happening during the marathon?

GI: Yea, pulling a cramp while running.

AG: Do you have anyone supporting you while running?

GI: My cousin, Leslie Aguilar, supports me by encouraging me and tells me stuff like “Good Luck.” My dad also tells me “Echale Ganas.”

Yanelly Gomez:

Yanelly Gomez: I’m nervous and scared I won’t finish the marathon. I know I can do it but I’m scared the bus is going to pick me up if I’m behind pace.

AG: Do you see this as an accomplishment and do you have anyone supporting you through this journey?

YG: I feel like this is an accomplishment because I’m usually home and never being active in sports. My mom and friends have supported me through my running journey.

NG: Are you worried about something happening during the marathon and how are you preparing for the day of the marathon?

YG: I’m worried about hurting myself while running. Probably massaging my legs so they feel good the day of the marathon.

Betsy Sanchez, Yanelly Gomez, and Roselyn Martinez at the start like of the 10k with Coach Finer.