School closure and distance learning: Your questions answered

UPDATED ON April 20 at 6pm. Edited by Yarelli Baez and Mr. Finer

Dear Bulldogs,

In this time of uncertainty, we want to help you have accurate, credible, and up-to-date information.  To do that, the student-editors and Mr. Finer will be posting updates here daily with answers to your most common questions, to the best of our abilities.  Have a question?  Leave it in the comments section below.

Q: When will school reopen?

A:  Distance learning for your classes is scheduled to begin online with advisory starting April 21 and your other classes on April 27.  Schools will not physically reopen for classes this academic year 🙁

Q: What type of school work are students expected to do at home during the coronavirus closing?

This week:

Work on your English and math review packets.  They are available for pickup during meal distribution at school.  Complete one English and math activity each day (there are ten days worth of review in each packet).  You should also continue to get minutes in iReady and in SAM (if you are in Read 180) and continue to read your take-home novel.  Also, complete any work your individual teachers have sent you or posted in Google Classroom.

Distance learning bell schedule (starting APRIL 27). Advisory begins a week earlier.

Work once school begins again:

A: Starting this week, you’ll begin advisory online.  For 6th graders, you’re first online advisory class will be on Tuesday at 11am.  For 7th graders, you start on Wednesday at 11am.  For 8th graders, you start on Thursday at 11am.

The rest of your academic classes begin on Monday, April 27.

All the materials you’ll need for your classes will be posted at the time of each class in Google Classroom.  Your teacher will also leave instructions for how you’ll be communicating with them.

Q:  Do I need to wear a uniform?

A:   No.  But you do need to dress appropriately (your teacher may ask you to videoconference or create a video).  Dress like you would for a free dress Friday or a sprit day.

Q:  How will I communicate with my teachers?  What if I need help with my work?

A:  During each scheduled class, your teacher will be available for help.  They will communicate with you how they prefer you contact them during this time (some may use Google Meet for videoconferencing, some may use Flipgrid, others may rely on the comments section in Google Classroom, Google Docs, and Google slides).  You can always email your teacher for help.

Every teacher will also be available for office hours at the end of the day (except on Fridays).

Technology distribution schedule

Q: What if I don’t have a computer or internet access to work from home?

A: Schools will be checking out computers and/or wi-fi hotspots to individual students the week of April 20.  You’ll need to come with a parent/guardian to check out materials.  These are loaners that you are responsible for, just like books checked out from the school.  Follow the schedule to see when it’s your time to come and check out technology.

Q:  If school were to stay closed down for a long period of time because of the coronavirus, would we still have to go to school during summer vacation?

A:  Yes.  As of right now, the school calendar has been adjusted, with the last day of school now set for June 12 (this tacks on the two weeks of school closure before spring break onto the end of the year).

Q: What happens if we don’t return to school before it is time to culminate/graduate?

A:  Green Dot is working out plans for how to hold virtual culmination and graduation ceremonies, in the event its still not safe to hold these in-person in June.

Q: Will meals be served during the closure?

A:  Yes.  Meals will be served each school day from 11am-2pm.  Come to the front gate and you will be lunch for today as well as breakfast for tomorrow.  Any family member that needs a meal can come – the meals are not limited to only students.

Q:  What if my family needs more support during this time (like with food, rent, or mental health)?

A:  Start with this very short list of resources compiled by Green Dot:  Local Community Social Services.  In particular, calling the number “211” is a good way to access many of these supports.

Q: Why are schools closing down if children are not really affected by the coronavirus?

A:  Just like adults, children can be carriers (or hosts) of the virus.  Recent data shows that children are as likely to become infected as adults.  While children generally have had milder symptoms of the infection, there are still a sizable number of children that have become seriously ill.  Perhaps more importantly, even if someone isn’t showing symptoms, by gathering at school, children risk passing the virus around to other students and adults, who then risk spreading it to their families at home.