Bulldog Bugle

The student news site of Animo Jefferson Charter Middle School

Bulldog Bugle

Bulldog Bugle

All about abuse

A+kid+asking+for+help.+
Pacific Teen Treatment
A kid asking for help.

When people talk about abuse the first thing they think about is being hit, which is physical abuse. While physical abuse is one of the most common types of abuse there is, it doesn’t mean that its the only type of abuse there is. There are more types of abuse, which include physical abuse, sexual abuse, mental/emotional abuse, exploitation, neglect, self-neglect, and abandonment.

Types of abuse

According to Types and Signs of abuse, physical abuse is intentional bodily injury.

Sexual abuse is nonconsensual sexual contact (any unwanted sexual contact). Mental/emotional abuse is deliberately causing mental or emotional pain. Exploitation occurs when a vulnerable adult or his/her resource or income are illegally or improperly used for another person’s profit or gain. Neglect occurs when a person, either through his/her action or inaction, deprives a vulnerable adult of care necessary to maintain the vulnerable adult’s physical or mental health. Self-neglect occurs when a vulnerable adult fails to provide adequately for themselves and jeopardizes his/her well-being.

Abandonment occurs when a vulnerable adult is left without the ability to obtain necessary food, clothing, shelter or health care.

Victims

According to Voice Against Violence most abusers are family members. The victims of abusers are most likely their kids or their spouse. This being said, it doesn’t mean that all abusers are family members. Abuse can happen at home but it can also happen in relationships. Being abusive is choosing to be abusive; abusers are not forced to be abusive with others. They just want to be abusive because they like the power they have over others. That being said, there are factors that might also play a part in why people are abusive, like drug or alcohol use.

Impacts abuse has on people

According to Long-Term Consequences of Child Abuse and Neglect, abuse makes it hard for people to be independent because of what happened to them. Also, they can have little to no emotional attraction to their surroundings and look for affection from others. But one big thing is that the impact of abuse is different per person because it depends on the type of abuse they have gone through and what happened to them. So it’s hard to say that the effects of abuse that one person has been through will happen to others.

In conclusion there are different types of abuse like physical, sexual, mental/emotional, exploitation, neglect, self-neglect, and abandonment. Also, victims of abuse are usually the abuser’s kids or spouse, and that abuse happens because the abuser wants to have power over the people they are abusing. The impacts abuse has is different per person but there are some common effects that the victims have.

View Comments (5)